Re: After I done a Full Export of my database, how do I move this database to another database with a different instance name

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:29:02 GMT

Tim,

[Quoted] You can just do a full import into your test database. The fact that it is a different instance name does not make any difference!

Set up your TNSNAMES file with entries to both of your databases (if not previously done). Then do the following:

  1. exp userid=u/p_at_prod full=y file=exp.dmp
  2. imp userid=u/p_at_test full=y file=exp.dmp

That's all there is to it!

HTH,
Brian

Tim Lee wrote:

> Dear all:
>
> I have two Oracle instances reside on my NT server
>
> One is for production, and one is for testing.
>
> Now I would like to move my entire production database to my testing
> database.
> So I have done a full database export of my production database
>
> But I realise that now when I do the full import to my testing database,
> because the tesing database have a different instance name as the production
> one, it will try to re-create all these objects in the production database
> during the import.
>
> What should I do to move all objects form my production database to the
> testing database?
>
> Thanks for all your help in advance!

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at