Re: 8.1.7 Upgrade / Migration Woes

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 19:18:27 +0800

Daniel Schwartz wrote:

> To all,
>
> We are in the process of upgrading from version 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 on WinNT
> Server 4.0 SP6. While the upgrade of the software has gone off with no
> hitch, the migration of our databases to version 8.1.7 (using the Migration
> utility) hangs.
>
> Migration starts off OK but after 20-30 minutes the process stalls - we've
> let it run for up to 8 hours with no completion. Memory usage on the box
> goes way up w/Oracle consuming as much as 160MB. CPU usage also goes to
> 100%. During the upgrade the box is not supporting any external usage. We
> have tried the import a number of times with the same result. In the most
> recent attempt we deselected the option to have the migration utility
> compile stored proceedures. A full export of the database only takes up
> 35MB so the database is not that large.
>
> Also note that when we cancel the process and review the database (DBA
> Studio) to the extent that can determine everything seems fine. That said,
> we would really like the process to successfully complete so that we can be
> sure that the new installation is stable.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA.
>
> Dan Schwartz

You could run the upgrade manually - you can find the steps in the migration manual. In this way, you can see what's taking so long - I'd guess its probably reloading the java option.

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"