Re: Designer 6 versus PowerDesigner

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 09:07:31 +0100

"Mark Tompkins" <mdtompkins_at_home.com> wrote in message news:3A9ED6D8.7E6015D1_at_home.com...
> I'm currently using PowerDesigner 6.1, but mgmt wants to go to Oracle
> Designer 6. I have installed two previous versions, and ran into a
> whole slug of trouble. Basically, when I tried to reverse engineer a
> development database, Designer 6 croaked.
>
> What is REALLY required to setup designer 6 so that it works properly?
>
> Is there anyone out there who has used both, who can share some
> experience and advice?
>
> Much and Many Thanks
>
> In advance
>
> Regards,
>
> mark

Your post is just too broad and too vague ('A whole slug of trouble','croaked') to address your problems properly. Designer works. Period.
That is: if you have sufficient free space in the system tablespace (the provided packages will take some 60M), and set up your tablespaces appriopately, all of which is outlined in the installation manual. There are some quirks in the reverse engineering module, it seems to be very strict on datatypes and naming, but you can always reverse engineer tables and indexes only, and that just works.
So, if you could come up with a more specific description of 'a whole slug of trouble' and you just didn't install Designer on the fly (which you shouldn't do), somebody might be able to help you out.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Mar 05 2001 - 09:07:31 CET

Original text of this message