Re: Oracle Tools (TOAD)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 07:19:07 +0100

[Quoted] On Sun, 04 Mar 2001 00:23:03 GMT, "Andrew Werber" <aweber1_at_nycap.rr.com> wrote:

>Recently I've been using a trial version of TOAD from Quest software. It
>seems like a very nice product. I'd like to know what other products are out
>there like TOAD. It gives you a nice graphical interface to look at all
>Oracle objects, and the PL/SQL or SQL used to create those objects (where
>relevant). It shows execution times of SQL statements. Has a SQL tuner, is
>supposed to integrate with Microsoft Source Safe (that's useful for me), has
>a step through debugger of PL/SQL procedures and many other features. Any
>opinions would be helpful. Our DBA seems reticent about buying it because of
>cost, yet she seems willing to buy ERWIN. Go figure.
>
>Thanks,
>Andy

Erwin is a CASE tool, while TOAD definitely is NOT a CASE tool. Apart from TOAD, there is SQL*Navigator, also from Quest. In some respects this product goes one step further (code templates, 'safe-editing') but you may and may not like the interface. Also there is EZSQL, www.ezsql.net, in which I find the interface far from intuitive.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun Mar 04 2001 - 07:19:07 CET

Original text of this message