Re: Anybody successful with Designer?

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:08:43 GMT

I'm using version 2 of Designer 6i and in general it works well. One major difference between this and earlier Designer editions is that 6i takes along time to do anything that requires a "fetch" from the repository. For example it can take three minutes to open a server model diagram with 75 tables using a P700 client and a decent server. This was not true on older versions of Designer.
After a number of calls to Oracle about this we were shown an internal memo indicating Oracle is aware of the problem but the fix will be a major piece of work - i.e. you won't see it anytime soon. Once your diagram is open, however, the product works as fast as before. So this is more of an annoyance than a serious disability.
As with all Oracle software you can buy a complete set of CDs for Designer for $50. This comes with a trial license. It would be a very good idea to buy a set and try things out before you commit your project to Designer. There's a lot to learn even after you have taken the classes. And finally, you should have a good database designer on board and a written set of database design standards for your shop. Designer is a tool and not a substitute for knowledge or experience.

Van