Re: Question

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:13:12 -0800

> Currently i am using sybase server for my application....i am using two
> different database files (one for system stuff and the other for
> data)....when the user logs in from the system one it then lets it into the
> other one with the data. i am trying to convert over to Oracle....can i use
> this scheme? is it possible? should i do a view-type setup? any suggestions
> or comments would be greatly apprecaited.

I've not worked with Sybase so consider my answer in that light.

You probably can but you shouldn't.

In Oracle a single instance contains multiple tablespaces. One always named SYSTEM holds system the Oracle data dictionary and you should never put anything into it related to applications or tools. Then there are, or should be, multiple tablespaces on separate physical drives holding data and indexes. You definitely want to copy that design if you wish to optimize performance.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat Feb 24 2001 - 20:13:12 CET

Original text of this message