Re: How to manage the versions of databases ?

From: Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas.ecarnot_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:32:02 +0000 (UTC)

madmax_at_hotmail.com (mad max) wrote in <981747427.70322_at_tubarao.ip.pt>:

>I am in a similar problem.
>However I have been thinking of the possibility to use the database
>Properties.

What are you talking about ???

>You can create any property you want and store your schema version in
>there. You would still like to be able to automatically compare 2
>databases for differences in tables, their properties, fields etc. so
>that a nice report is generated with suggested courses of actions.
>
>Check the site http://www.mvps.org/access for some cool ideas.

Why do you speak about Access ?
I don't speak about a particular DBMS, but I'd like to find a generic idea.

>I know there are some professional tools around, but they will cost you
>some bucks.

That's something I'd like to avoid, but I will accept the sweat to produce to code something clean.

>If you get some solution, don't forget to post it here.

Don't worry, I will.

--
Nicolas Ecarnot | E-mail: nicolas.ecarnot_at_bigfoot.com

The sum of CPU power and user brain power is a constant.