Re: How to manage the versions of databases ?

From: Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas.ecarnot_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:25:19 +0000 (UTC)

greens_at_diamondsg.com (Steve Green) wrote in <3A842A29.6B727F13_at_diamondsg.com>:

>Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
>
>> In my company, we sell a huge software that uses huges databases, and
>> we modify the scheme of the databases almost every 3 months.
>
>that, in itself, is a red flag that something's wrong.. I'm not trying
>to be rude, but your "game plan" isn't well-enough thought out..

I sure know ! This times, this interval is getting longer, so that's why I have the time to think about another better way.

>> We are looking for a way to manage rightly these updates, and we
>> already have some ideas, but we can't imagine being the first company
>> to deal with that hard problem.
>
>if the big issue is that the table structures have changed, you need to
>write a routine that passes in temp empty new tables, passes the old
>data to the new tables (usually with changeto queries), then kills the
>old tables and makes the new tables the "real" tables

ok, but how can I do when I must add columns to a table, and fill the new columns with the result of an operation (for example, concatenation of three fields from three other tables, or other funny things like that) ?

This is absolutely not for fun, but I really use case very tough to deal with !

--
Nicolas Ecarnot | E-mail: nicolas.ecarnot_at_bigfoot.com