Re: creating stored procedure

From: <vikasgupta_at_excite.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:12:10 GMT

[Quoted] hi Frank,

I agreed with your views, creating stored procedure is better idea than SQL script. I am creating this for inserting data into temporary table pulling data from more than 100 tables. If I am writng stored procedure I need to use more than 150 'Insert statement as select from' I have to open 150 cursor may be more than this. I am creating all this for a Crystal Report. wouldn't the procedure be very long. Or all this will be ok.

Any suggestions.
 Thanks

In article <iwbh6.2640$xT3.73490_at_news1.oke.nextra.no>,   "Frank" <franjoe_at_frisurf.no> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We have also choosen to prefer stored procedures instead of scripts.
>
> The reason is you get fewer development environments (only Oracle
 database
> not UNIX). This means that you
> simply have fewer things to keep in order. Keep the Database running
 an the
> code is there (and working ?-).
> It is also easier to copy the database to test/development
 environment,
> because everything is copied in the same
> way and everything is in the Database. With SQLPlus you sometimes must
> create temporary files/scripts
> to achieve things - another thing to remember when moving/copying a
> database.
>
> Business logic have a tendency to grow in complexity, PLSQL is easier
> allow business logic to "grow" in
> (become more complex). SQLPlus scripts are easy when the problem is
 easy,
> but very hard when the problem grows.
>
> Actually we would not have choosen the cron solution either, we would
 have
> used the DBMS_JOB. I believe the
> application becomes easier to document/hand over to other people, when
> everyting(?) is in the Database.
>
> Frank
>
> <vikasmamta_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Alex
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> > Writing SQL script is more easier. My boss wants me to write a
 stored
> > procedure. I want to know would the stored procedure run from cron
 or
> > not. Can I tell him it is better to run SQL script than stored
> > procedure.
> >
> > Thanks in anticipation.
> > In article <95s7hu$v5d$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net> wrote:
> > > I don't think you really need a stored procedure. May be sqlplus
 script
> > > will work for you. In that script you can easily use truncate.
 It's
> > > also easier to run sqlplus script from cron.
> > > One more suggestion. Even if you decide to use stored procedure,
 use
> > > insert into <temp table>
> > > as select ....
> > > statements. It'll save you time.