Re: SQL in German

From: Ted Knijff <knijff_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 17:03:36 GMT

Hi,
[Quoted] I am also located in Germany and have had the same problem many times. You can do nothing on the Oracle side. Changing NLS_xxx does not work. On MS-MDAC systems, including ADO, data is passed from the intermediate layer to the cursor and back as comma separated strings, including numerics which are without the ' or " character delimeter. eg. 'MYSTRING, 123',12.5,'ANOTHER STRING' ... Changing the . to a comma generates another value and it crashes.

So to tell the the database that you are sending it a number, you have to convert the number to either remove the comma or convert the number to a delimited string before sending it to the database.

Some MS-MDAC versions handle it correctly, some don't. The problem is not only on the Oracle side and I have the problem with Visual Foxpro, Visual Basic, with ODBC or ADO or RDS and Excel ... etc. etc.

For example, the Oracle ODBC driver (all versions supplied with 8i) do not work with decimal fractions in Germany. The ODBC that came with 8.0.5 works with MDAC versions 1.x. With >8.1.5 you need the MS ODBC driver for Oracle that comes with Office.

Oracle tells me MS is to blame. MS tells me, use MS-SQL.

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:19:58 GMT, Dennis <dwehlman_at_my-deja.com> wrote:

>If you change the nls_lang in registory local_machine/software/oracle
>to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 it should work
>
>Dennis
>
>In article <95fhme$v46$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> mingoz_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>> I installed the Oracle 8.0.5 version in English. Later on, I changed
>> the regional setting of my NT server to German. Now my ADO statement
>> failed because my sql is "...set item_a = 12,345, item_b = 23,456...".
>> As you can see, the decimal point in German is "," instead of ".".
>> What can I do to Oracle so that it will take these sql statements?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sent via Deja.com
>> http://www.deja.com/
>>

>Sent via Deja.com
>http://www.deja.com/

EMail: knijff_at_bigfoot.com Received on Sat Feb 10 2001 - 18:03:36 CET

Original text of this message