Re: How to manage the versions of databases ?

From: Steve Green <greens_at_diamondsg.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 12:34:33 -0500

Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:

> In my company, we sell a huge software that uses huges databases, and we
> modify the scheme of the databases almost every 3 months.

[Quoted] that, in itself, is a red flag that something's wrong.. I'm not trying to be rude, but your "game plan" isn't well-enough thought out..

> We are looking for a way to manage rightly these updates, and we already
> have some ideas, but we can't imagine being the first company to deal with
> that hard problem.

[Quoted] if the big issue is that the table structures have changed, you need to write a routine that passes in temp empty new tables, passes the old data to the new tables (usually with changeto queries), then kills the old tables and makes the new tables the "real" tables

--

Steve Green
Corel CTech - Paradox

http://www.diamondsg.com