Re: Loading rows > 4096 characters?

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 18:44:53 GMT

In article <95u1bb$fjd$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   dhodson_at_welcom.co.uk wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
>
> I'm currently involved with migrating a finance application into
 Oracle
> 7.3.3, and i've hit a snag. The old system has notepad files held as
> single files in a directory on the unix server, and the problem is
 that
> the files are single rows (no line breaks) up to a maximum of 80kb.
> I'm using the following control file to successfully load some of
 them,
> but any notepad record over 4096 bytes is rejected by sql*loader.
>
> APPEND
> INTO TABLE GNNOTES
> (
> KEY_ID POSITION(1:8) CHAR,
> NOTE_TEXT varchar
> )
>
> The first 8 characters of the text file are the account identifier,
 and
> the rest of the line (up to the end of the file) contains the text in
> the notepad.
>
> Any suggestions? :)
>
> Regards
>
> Duncan Hodson
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Correct. You cannot do it with SQLLoader.

Other choices?
[] Write you own loader/parser to read in the records... [] Run a parser over the files to create lines with a continuation character at the front after ever so many characters ( 80 or 120 ) in C or perl or whatever
[] change the output to the first field plus a file name; write out each notepad record as a file; use the lob loader which references files

Not every peg is a round one.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics