Re: Which oracle command to use to find out which index was used

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 20:01:03 -0800

> I'm testing the search speed of oracle tables using different indexes.
> What command in oracle can I type to find out which index oracle used
> for my query. I believe the optimizer looks at the tables, indexes and
> so forth before deciding the best approach to run the query. I've looked
> at Explain, analyze, and explain plan., but its not
> really what I'm after.
> Any suggestions?

The methods suggested below will tell you which index was used by it seems to me you might also want to influence Oracle to use a particular index for a particular test. If so use a HINT such as the one below:

select /*+ index (rca rb_call_activities_u1) */ tape_id,record_id
from rb_call_activities rca

The hint is the text between the /* and the */

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon Feb 05 2001 - 05:01:03 CET

Original text of this message