Re: strang table locking

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 08:18:32 +1100

<yong321_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:959q3d$ttr$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> A very minor point: Oracle does not call that a storage parameter; you
> can't change INITRANS or MAXTRANS in DEFAULT STORAGE. Oracle calls them
> physical properties or attributes of the table.
>
> Yong Huang

Hi Yong,

It *is* a minor point, and one I don't agree with. I didn't say initrans or maxtrans were part of a 'default storage clause', I said they were part of the 'storage clause'. That which is in a segment's storage clause (even if inherited, incidentally, via the *default* storage clause of the tablespace) becomes, by definition, the attributes of the table.

There's also the slightly more serious point that saying something is a 'physical property' of a table implies it cannot be changed very easily. I happen to thing that 'segments use blocks' or 'segments come in extents' are true physical properties of a table. Its initrans, pctfree, pctused, minextents, maxextents etc etc etc can ALL be changed, albeit with a little effort (change-export-drop-import or change-move tablespace).

HJR