Re: sqlldr: problem with NULLS and date format

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:39:53 GMT

In article <956bpd$9jl_at_nntpa.cb.lucent.com>,   "Nizam Ahmed" <nizam_ahmed_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a comma delimited ctl file that I want to load with sqlldr:
>
> problem 1:
> it contains, in capitals, the word NULL where the field is null:
> sqlldr complains:
> ORA-01858: a non-numeric character was found where a numeric was
 expected

> problem 2:
> if i change the word NULL to a blank, it fixes problem 1, but, if
 there is
> blanks at the end of the line, it complains:
> Column not found before end of logical record (use TRAILING NULLCOLS)
>
> problem 3:
> the date format is currently in the form 19990101. sqlldr complains:
> ORA-01861: literal does not match format string
>
> Now I know all these can be fixed by modifying the ctl file, but I
 would
> like to know if there are any Oracle system parameters that can be
 set to
> allow this data through successfully.
>
> Thanks!

No other settings. By definition, the control file is the only place to make this work. Since many loads of different files occur, the loader is the point for making decisions.

Personally, I start every new control file by copying over a previous control file with similar characteristics ( trailing nullcol or comma delimited ), then modify it.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com