Re: Problem with SQL-Loader

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:04:45 GMT

[Quoted] In article <954mp9$otk$04$1_at_news.t-online.com>,   "Nils Appel" <Nils_Appel_at_web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to import data from a large, comma seperated file using
> SQL-Loader. The file looks like this:

140,bmForm=search&bmFormID=954570676337&bmIsForm=true&bmPrevTemplate=mai n%2F
> cust_serv\.jhtml&bmHidden=SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EobjectTypes&SEARCH_INPUT%
 3C%3Eob
> jectTypes=PRODUCT&bmHidden=SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EobjectTypes&SEARCH_INPUT%
 3C%3Eo
> bjectTypes=SKU&bmHidden=SEARCH_I,..........
>
> The database fields are varchar2(500) each.
>
> It works fine if I import just the first field (in this record "140")
 but if
> I try it with second field it fails saying "Error -2 writing to
 badfile". It
> created an empty badfile in my home. I know that I have writing
 priviliges
> there.
>
> Possibly the problem is caused by the special characters in the data.
 Does
> anyone have some experience with such import problems? Please help.
>
> Nils

Need more information eg the control file.

Just guessing, I think that you are not dividing each row of data with a line feed. This is needed. SQLLoader does not parse lines based on # of fields per line. In fact, being line oriented means that you can have zero or more fields that you do not read or parse.

There are retricted characters -- but none appear in this example (I think).

It is possible that you have run out of buffer space. If each line is very long, you may have exceeded the SQLLoader limits. If I remember correctly, around 4K per line.

Finally, if you are declaring the second field as 'varchar(500)', you might try just 'char'. This will load into a varchar field. Remember the loader variables are related, not necessarily identical to the database fields.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com