Re: lob storage/performance

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:53:37 -0000

Depends how you want to use your LOBs and data. An out of line LOB always takes a CHUNK, and the minimum chunk size is a block. For LOBs of 0.5-1K you waste a lot of space by disabling storage in row.

On the other hand, if you have to scan the table to find the data in the 7 columns that tells you which LOB you want, then you have to scan a lot more space. So there is no automatically right answer to your question

In 8.1 the LOB segment and LOB Index have to be in the same tablespace.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:  Addison-Wesley
More reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html