Re: ADO and Oracle question.

From: Eric Givler <egivler_at_flash.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 01:01:47 GMT

I've used ADO with Oracle 7.3.3, Oracle 8.0.4 and Oracle 8.1.6 as the backend. In each instance, I used either the SQL*Net client (from Oracle7 Client tools) or Net8 (from the Developer 6i suite). I also used the MDAC 2.5 in each instance and used Microsoft's OleDB provider. There's a good site out there that goes over these things (http://www.asplists.com/asplists/oracle.asp, I think) and there are a couple SAMPLE programs that Oracle has - you can request them from Metalink support staff.

Also, I tried Oracle's OLEDB provider for 8.1.5 and that was pretty cool. That required a newer client toolset (8.1.5) and at that point, it was a BETA release. The latest is for 8.1.6 and is not beta. I haven't tried that at all, but I'm assuming it works.

I liked the newer MDAC and OleDB provider because I could use Ref Cursors. I guess the idea behind the Oracle Objects for Ole was that it was Oracle's COM interface to the database and you could perform a little big more than what you could with ADO, but ADO was portable to backends OTHER than oracle, just based on the connection parameters.

I'm guessing a lot here though. Good luck in your endeavors!!!