Re: sql*plus: behavior differences client 8i / client 8

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:00:23 GMT

In article <3a6d3b0f$1_at_news.psi.ch>,
  "Nicolas Stern" <nicolas.stern_at_psi.ch> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using client 8.0 against a 7.3.2.3.2 Server on VMS.
>
> The following statement runs fine.
>
> select b.username, a.granted_role
> from dba_role_privs a, dba_users b
> where b.username = a.grantee;
>
> Running this statement using the 8.i client against the same Server
 raises
> ORA-24347: Warning of a NULL column in an aggregate function. Running
 this
> statement with the 8.i client works fine.
>
> Looks just like a compatibility issue. No need to worry. But I'm just
> curious to understand why a compatibility issue translates into this
 error
> and makes my client thinks there are nulls in this columns.
>
> thanks for any input
>
> N. Stern

Oracle is downwards compatible, so a 7.x client will talk to an 8.x database.
Oracle is not upwards compatible, so a 8.x client doesn't necessarily talk to a 7.x database. The specific database version you are using has been desupported by Oracle several years ago, so it is not necessarily reasonable to expect your config is working without problems.

Regards,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply