Hepl with Triggers

From: Jeff Boyer <"Jeff>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:53:31 -0700

[Quoted] I have to start off by saying I am new to triggers so please bare with me. [Quoted] I have written a trigger that acts as an auto-numbering system similar to [Quoted] the auto number of access. What I am trying to do now is append the letters [Quoted] 'SSCA-' to the beginning of my generated number. Below is the code I am using, can some take a look and tell me if I am on the right track. Since I [Quoted] [Quoted] have added the text to append to the auto number I am generating errors when I create the trigger.

Working trigger:
CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER MY_TEST_TRG
  BEFORE INSERT on Company_reg
   FOR EACH ROW
   BEGIN
   SELECT TEST_SEQ2.NEXTVAL
   INTO :NEW.Company_Id;
  END MY_TEST_TRG;
/

New trigger that doesn't work:
CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER MY_TEST_TRG
  BEFORE INSERT on Company_reg
   FOR EACH ROW
   DECLARE
   Temp Varchar2(30);
   BEGIN
    Temp = SELECT TEST_SEQ2.NEXTVAL
   Temp = 'SSCA-' & Temp
[Quoted]     INSERT INTO Company_Reg (Company_Id) Values (Temp);   END MY_TEST_TRG;
/

[Quoted] My sequence that generates the auto number is as follows: CREATE SEQUENCE TEST_SEQ2 start with 0001 increment by 1 minvalue 0001;

Any help that can be given will be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Jeff Received on Tue Jan 23 2001 - 21:53:31 CET

Original text of this message