Re: Very URGENT! Tablespace Extent Problem w/ Import

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:00:39 +0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> All I can say is you've been bloody lucky: it's not a text file (and there
> wouldn't be a log option or an indexfile option if it were).
>
> But clearly, there's a risk I'm just being a bit of an old woman on this
> one... so I've just tested it. Export database...drop EMP....import EMP...
> success.
>
> Make one change to the dump file (in this case, change EMP's Initial Extent
> from 64K to 32K) in notepad, and save. Drop EMP....import EMP.... import
> bombs out with complaints about the character set used in the dump file.
>
> Er, did I back up the original dump file... did I buggery... I am now
> EMP-less!! Cheers, Dave! (OK, I admit, it wasn't your fault).
>
> This is boring Windows 2000, and ye veritable notepad, 8.1.6. But I think
> my point is that (1) this is not recommended by Oracle (2) it's strongly
> dis-recommended by Oracle (3) it's stuffed up 100% of the times I've ever
> attempted it (not just this little test) and (4) it's not the kind of thing
> I'd recommend to newbies or the desperate.
>
> HJR
>
> "Dave Haas" <davehaas_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Howard.
> >
> > I have edited MANY dump files with text editors (both Unix & NT) and have
> > never had a problem. Granted the 'create table first' solution was
 probably
> > better, but for small changes it sometimes seems easier to just edit the
> > dump file.
> >
> > I was also trying to explain the problem a little bit :)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Haas
> >

> > "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Knut Talman" <knut_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message
 dump
 file

> > > No, that's fair enough... the fact you used a HEX editor is the thing,
> > > confirming that the dump file really is a binary encoded file, not a
 text
> > > one. I have students open the thing up in vi, trying to change the
> > > tablespaces in which tables are stored for example, and then wonder why
 the
> > > import spits the dummy -after all, you *can* see most of its contents in
 vi
> > > (or notepad, come to that).
> > >
> > > Fingers crossed, eh?
> > >
> > > 5am????? Are you mad??!
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > HJR

I would have thought it would have been easier for the original poster to just 'exp rows=n' and 'imp show=y' to get his table ddl - and edit that ?

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"