Re: SQL-Loader and special characters

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:59:55 +0100

Sorry to say so, but this response is utter crap. Did you try it yourself? Of course not.
The & is a special character in sqlplus where I should stress the word *plus*. As such this is a sqlplus issue *only*, and as sqlplus configuration is not managed by changing init<sid>.ora, changing init<sid>.ora is not going to have *any* effect.
'You will need to bounce the database for each change to take effect' this could easily be interpreted as 'you need to bounce the database for every individual change' and of course this is nonsense, as all the changes you make at the same time do reflect in your live parameters when you bounce the database *once*.
In order to change the define settings you need to create a file called login.sql in the working directory your run sqlplus from. But then again, this applies to sqlplus only,
ampersands should load without problem using sqlloader, as the ampersand is *not* a special character in sqlloader. If you don't believe that please come with concrete evidence of the contrary.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA