RE: can I use an online backup on an other OS

From: Norman Dunbar <ndunbar_at_lynxfinancialsystems.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:36:04 -0000

I suspect that the answer is no.

I tried this once with an HP datafile to a DEC Alpha Server and on startup, the whole plot fell over with errors. When I logged a call with Oracle, they were mildly amused to hear what I was trying to do. Oracle prevents you from satrating a database with a file from another OS included in the database.

I can do it from one HP server to another, but not from different servers. It is all to do with numeric formats (big endian versus little endian etc).

Hope this helps.

Regards, Norman.

Norman Dunbar		EMail:	NDunbar_at_LynxFinancialSystems.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	Fax:	0113 201 7265
			URL:	http://www.LynxFinancialSystems.com