Re: Good ORACLE Books

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:31:32 GMT

In our last gripping episode yong321_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Interesting you mentioned that book. It's good to have it because you
> don't want to carry manuals around. It's bad because the authors know
> nothing beyond saying what's already in the manual. Look at my review
> on Amazon.com titled "How to write a book adding value to manuals".
>
> Also, the authors are quite sloppy in writing (even though O'Reilly
> corrected most if not all typos). E.g., on one page, the authors refer
> to the LRU end of the LRU list as tail. On another page, they refer to
> that as head. Oracle jargon can be used if you at least keep
> consistent. But the best books are still Oracle manuals i.e.
> documentation free from technet, accurate, accurate and very accurate,
> and they avoid using bad jargon.
>
> Yong Huang
> yong321_at_yahoo.com
>
> In article <93q2bu$55o$1_at_diana.bcn.ttd.net>,
> "Pablo Martinez" <jpabloma_at_idecnet.com> wrote:
> > Hello Sherman
> >
> > > What would be the good books to start
> > > with?
> > >

> > We have used some O'Reilly books in my company.
> >
> > I like the next one because it is interesting both for the begginer
 and for
> > the intermediate DBA:
> >
> > Oracle Database Administration: The Essential Reference
> > By David Kreines & Brian Laskey
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> > Regards
> > Pablo Martinez
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

[Quoted] Yes, in many cases the Oracle manuals are better than most texts however I must mention the Oracle Press series of texts (excluding, of [Quoted] course, the Jason Couchman series of misinformation). My picks?

Oracle 8i: The Complete Reference
Oracle 8i DBA Handbook
Oracle 8 Backup & Recovery Handbook

These should start you off on the correct footing. They are fairly easy to comprehend, do not use unnecessary jargon and contain reliable [Quoted] information and explanations not easily found in the Oracle documentation. I prefer the above texts to the O'Reilly series although O'Reilly has published a number of excellent texts with regard [Quoted] to UNIX, NT, Perl, etc.

--
David Fitzjarrell
[Quoted] Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com