Re: Learning Oracle Forms

From: Eric Givler <egivler_at_flash.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 02:24:24 GMT

> What is (according to you) the most efficient way to learn how to use
> (correctly) Oracle Forms for someone who knows programming with other
> language (like C/C++, VB, PHP and more), knows SQL, PL/SQL but never hear
> about Forms ??

The best way is to have to deliver a production application that is seen by a wide variety of users (say 1000+) with little to know experience with the tool. You definitely have to jump in at this point, and start producing!

I never really take the time to review the demos, though they may be a helpful starting point.

Here are the steps I'd try to master:
1. The debugger. I want to know how to use this in forms, and know how to debug pl/sql outside of forms - ie. through procedure builder or in sql*plus.

2. Code-Reuse.  Libaries, program units, packages, etc.
3. Re-usable forms objects.
4. The wizards - how to get a simple form working quickly.
5. Data validation and List of Values.  Almost every form has this.
6. A template.  You have to have a building block to start from.
7. Exception handling.
8. Forms Built-Ins.  What does the tool offer me in addition to the features
in pl/sql?

If I think of more, I'll send you some....

> How many days of formation, what kind of books must he read, is it better
> learn in books or by programming ...

It will take quite a while to master. I'd read books, but you aren't going to be a good forms developer by reading. You have to produce. Then, get feedback, and try to address problems and enhancements. What also helps is having to convert and migrate your application through several releases. If you'd have learned the tool early - with a small set of features, each new release isn't that bad to handle. The new release though, would be overwhelming for the newbie. SO, you need to approach it in a different manner.

> I insist on the fact that the person must be then abble to develop a
 complex
> and complete software in a reasonable amount of time.

We can't get $125/hr contractors to produce more than a couple of lines of code an hour, so I'm not sure how complex of a system you expect from the average forms programmer. We're in the process of finding a vendor to rewrite an application for our office - it has 9 tables and the previous version (in oracle) had seven screens. There were 4 report runs (to card stock) and the rest were listings generated in Oracle Data Query. Most vendors are coming in with estimates approaching $500,000. I would have to think this should be a little cheaper.

Most programmers know little about testing, code re-use, information hiding, etc. Good luck with your goals! Received on Thu Jan 11 2001 - 03:24:24 CET

Original text of this message