Can I link to outside tables/files in Oracle?

From: <dtu16_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:41:56 GMT

[Quoted] We need to create an Oracle database with data from various sources. i.e., the source data is in different formats such as text file (fixed width), Excel files, dBASE files and Access tables as well as other Oracle tables. Is there a way that we can link to those data sources in Oracle database so that we view those as they were Oracle tables, without actually
moving/copying the same data over in Oracle database? Like in MS Access, one can link to outside files/tables. Is there such utility program available for Oracle? Since our source data are updated all the time, it would save us a lot time and space if we don't have to duplicate the same data in Oracle in order to use them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Jan 10 2001 - 21:41:56 CET

Original text of this message