Re: Forms : changing "column name" for data block items

From: Steve Cosner <stevec5088_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:47:15 GMT

In article <93hfrd$fog$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   chiappa_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <93f5n3$3j9$1_at_wanadoo.fr>,
> "Jérôme PERRET" <jperret_at_freesurf.fr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My problem is *NOT* to change the table on wich block is based. My
 problem
> > is that column names in my tables are *NOT* the sames.
> >
> > I want to create a block that can be base on both Table A and Table
 B. How
> > can I ?
>
> It´s IMPOSSIBLE to make a block based in 2 tables. Your options are :
>
> a) create a VIEW and base the block in the view. Problem : views have
> some restrictions
>
> b) have 2 blocks, one in each table, and write some PL/SQL to make it
> invisible to the users (i.e., commit a block when the other have
> commited, query automatically a block when the other is queried, etc).
> problem : can be hazardous to do

[Quoted] Well... not impossible, but not something you would normally do in a day's work. You could
make dynamic SQL calls using Oracle's DBMS_SQL package to populate your block. But
using a view is a method that might work best for you. I have not tried it, but Forms 6 permits
[Quoted] you to create a block based on a stored procedure, too.

My QA Utility form uses the DBMS_SQL method to access just about any table. You can
download the fmx from http://members.aol.com/stevec5088

Steve Cosner

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Jan 10 2001 - 22:47:15 CET