Re: Help: which Oracle product should I choose, and....

From: DriftWood <drift_wood_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:04:39 GMT

> 1. Since I am a novice to learn Oracle, which Oracle products do you
 recommend?
> (Oracle8i Lite? Oracle8i Personal Edition? Oracle8i Enterprise
 Edition? other
> products?). I am currently learning PL/SQL and JDBC programming
 associated with
> Oracle, maybe something else later.

Oracle Lite is not big Oracle made small, it has many differences that will probably make it unsuitable for you. As for the Personal edition vs. the Ent. edition, it would be better to use the Enterprise one so that you get all of the associated features, but the Personal edition will work as well. Be warned that the PE version doesn't have a listener started by default so a THIN JDBC connection will not be possible until you start a TCP listener.

> 2. I want to upgrade my win98 to Win2000(Professional or Server
 version), From
> your point of view, which OS is better to install for learning
 Oracle? Win2000
> Professional version or Server version(my PC is an PIII and with
 192MBytes
> memory)?

No question, Win2k is better. Server or Prof. does not greatly matter, go with Prof. edition given the memory you have installed.

> 3. In order to learn JDBC programming related with Oracle, which IDE
 is better
> to use?

IF you know Java and JDBC then use JDeveloper, if you are a relative novice in these areas, don't bother. It is a good tool for doing many things (mostly the advanced stuff), but it doesn't make the job any easier for a novice.

--
-cheers
  DW

Sent via Deja.com