Re: NASA switches from Oracle to MySQL

From: R. Scott Hunter <robertscothunter_at_aol.comnospam>
Date: 05 Jan 2001 14:06:58 GMT

The comments about 'any large agency seems to want to use every possible platform' (paraphrased) is definitely true. I walked into a project at a major telecommunications company and when I started off the O/S platforms included IBM MVS, IBM VM/SP, UNIX (5 different flavors), Teradata; DBMS included Informix, Oracle, DB2, VSAM (yes, I know), NOMAD, Teradata; front ending was being done in MS-Access, PowerBuilder, SQL Windows, VB; hardware included about 12 different server / mainframe configurations and about 10 different desktop configurations.

I don't know whether these people do this for the sheer spite of creating an environment that not even God would support, or what.

R. Scott Hunter
Please respond to: rshunter_at_navy.org
GO NAVY!