Re: Problem: Temporary segment cannot be created in locally-managed tablespace

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 00:57:58 +1100

"Valery Yourinsky" <vsu_at_bill.mts.ru> wrote in message news:3A5588EC.1ACA71EF_at_bill.mts.ru...
> Nijntje wrote:
> >
> > The problem I have:
> >
> > On the client machine I can use SQLplus to connect to the oracle
 database
> > (on a remoite server).
> > But when I want to use an oracle-ODBC driver to link the tables(Access)
> > get the following error:
> >
> > "ORA-03212: Temporary segment cannot be created in locally-managed
> > tablespace"
> >
> > What is the problem ??
>
> Hi Nijntje,
>
> ORA-03212 Temporary Segment cannot be created in locally-managed
> tablespace
>
> Cause: An attempt was made to create a temporary segment for
> SORT/HASH/LOBS in a locally-managed permanent tablespace.
>
> Action: Alter temporary tablespace of user to a temporary tablespace or
> dictionary-managed permanent tablespace.
>
> e.g. ALTER USER username TEMPORARY TABLESPACE tempspacename;

Could work, though it assumes that the User's temporary tablespace assignments are incorrect. If they are actually correct, then (presumably) the actual problem is that the temporary tablespace being used has actually been created as ordinary permanent tablespace. In that case, the more appropriate solution would be to drop the offending tablespace, and re-create it using the appropriate TEMPORARY keyword (ie, create temporary tablespace tempspacename tempfile 'blah/blah/blah' size 100Gb (or whatever is deemed appropriate) extent management local uniform extent size 1M).

Regards
HJR