Re: dbstart script failure on 8i

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 22:13:43 +0800

Paul Bennett wrote:

> I have Oracle 8i on AIX 4.3.2, and the dbstart script doesn't start any
> instances, but claims that it has. I've traced the problem to the fact
> that dbstart launches the server manager and checks the output for a
> line containing either "PL/SQL Version" or "PL/SQL Revision". Trouble
> is, the server manager does not include either string in its output.
> I've patched the script to work around it at the moment, but I'm
> concerned that this meas that PL/SQL isn't (properly) installed.
>
> What's the least painful way to rectify this?
>
> Is this a bug in the script (and if so do I need to come up with a more
> permanent patch)?
>
> btw, The database is populated OK, and it appears to communicate with
> our application correctly --- so far.
>
> TIA,
>
> ---
> Pb
> My opinions are my own and should not be taken as
> representing any other group or entity.
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

[Quoted] [Quoted] You've done the right thing - its a known bug - because PL/SQL is no [Quoted] longer option (ie its mandatory) it no longer appears in the banner.

[Quoted] Fixed in a patch release somewhere..

HTH
Connor

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"