Re: coupla WebDB questions from a newbie

From: Paul <paul_fountain_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 23:56:24 GMT

[Quoted] You will find that the Webdb form wizards will often be a bit restrive for what you want to do. Are you familiar with the PL/SQL web toolkit? I've used stored procedures that use the web toolkit to generate either [Quoted] whole forms or parts of forms. Often I'll just create a skeleton page using the wizard in webdb and then call stored procedures to generate the bits I need by putting the call between the <oracle></oracle> tags.

[Quoted] You can definitely use the stored procedure approach to determine which [Quoted] forms are shown. Just about everything in webdb is stored in packages so [Quoted] it doesn't make any difference whether the form you call is one that was [Quoted] done with a webdb wizard or a custom built form that you've done yourself. You just need to be able to pass the correct parameters to the [Quoted] particluar procedure you've called.

As for your question about normalised tables, I think each case has to be evaluated on its own merits. The project I worked on with webdb, we started with normalised tables and denormalised when we found a need, usually to simplify or reduce query processing. When we denormalised we [Quoted] used triggers where appropriate to keep everything in sync.

regards

Paul

In article <92vdvp$3dv$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   itc_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I am writing my first WebDB (2.2) app, and had a few questions for
> anyone gracious enough to offer some advice:
>
> How does one create a Master-Detail-Detail form? The Master-Detail
> wizard just doesn't cut it for the database design I am using.
>
> If one wished to call another form after submission of the current
 one,
> would it be done by creating a link to <form.SHOW> of the form you
 want
> to call, then writing a stored procedure to do so? If so, can one
> examine the contents of the form before deciding which next form to
> call?
>
> General technique question: right now I am coding to a normalized
> design. Do people use this apporach for WebDB, or do they
> use 'staging' tables matched to forms and then distribute the data to
> normalized tables afterwards, or do they live with a denormalized
> transactional design?
>
> Sorry for posting from deja but the place I work declines to install a
> news proxy...
>
> TIA -
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/