Re: one instance can hv how many database?

From: Xifer <ark_at_im.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:50:30 +0000

lkw wrote:

> u mean normally ppl hv two database in one server is always running two
> oracle instances?

Yes. That's two sets of datafiles with system and userdata, two sets of system processes for filewriting, system monitoring etc and two sets of memory areas. If you only need two copies of user data (say one for development and one for testing) then they can be stored in one database. They would be owned by different users (schema owners) and referenced like this:

schema_owner_name.tablename

OR if the connected user is the schema owner you only need the tablename.

> for solaris system, how to create a new instance?

use the 'CREATE DATABASE' command in a script along with commands to add /configure all the requisite components. Or the database configuration assistant can build the script for you or actually create the db directly for you.

currently i hv one

--
"No man is happy without a delusion of
 some kind. Delusions are as necessary to