Oracle Audit Trail Repository Advice

From: Mark Zehner <zehner_at_averstar.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:28:24 -0800

[Quoted] I'm attempting to define requirements for Oracle database auditing and do not appreciate the merits of using an OS file as the location for the audit trail. Most of what I read in the literature seems to assume the audit trail is stored in the SYS.AUD$ table. That is, the auditing views created with the CATALOG.SQL scripts as well as Oracle Reports seems to use this table. I can't find any references regarding what one does if an O/S file is used instead. How is the O/S file interpreted and with what?

Also, there is some sentiment among my associates that the database table approach should not be used because the DBA can delete it. My counter is that the deletion event will in turn be stored. This is countered with, but the details of previous activity are lost. At this point I give up.

Can anyone help me with 1) detailed advice as to the pros and cons regarding the two approaches to the auditing repository, 2) is the concern over the DBA deleting the SYS.AUD$ table real and 3) if O/S auditing is used, how is the O/S interpreted

Thanks in advance for your help, and please send responses to:

    zehner_at_averstar.com Received on Mon Dec 18 2000 - 19:28:24 CET

Original text of this message