Re: dblink

From: Frank <franjoe_at_frisurf.no>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:58:29 +0100

Hi!(very sorry if this becomes duplicated now, but strange things happen with my Outlook Express :-)

I have not tried it myself, but I believe that in Oracle 8/8i you should try inline views/DRIVING SITE hints/views on remote site. Oracle might be able to do something useful with a query like:

SELECT stuff, stuff
FROM (SELECT ...........

            FROM a_remote_table_1_at_a_remote_site_A
            WHERE ....get rid of absolutely useless rows from remote
database )  alias_remote_info_1,
            (SELECT ............
            FROM a_remote_table_2_at_a_remote_site_B,
                        a_remote_table_3_at_a_remote_site_B
            WHERE join remote tables
            AND ....get rid of absolutely useless rows from remote
database )  alias_remote_info_2
            local_table

WHERE .....join....
;

Oracle might find it possible to send the inline views over to the remote database for processing (if it
manages to use indexes Im not sure), and you could possibly get rid of a lot of useless rows. Then Oracle
just send useful row (or "perhaps" useful rows).

Also creating views on the remote database instead of the inline views are possible.

Frank