Re: Unix System Administrator (Music.com)

From: <ether_nut_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:45:47 GMT

They probably tape a Nextel to your brain so you can't remove it. Shiftwork is key to keep disgruntled employees from happening. They should pay even for a phone call after the shift. If you want to be bothered 24/7, have 6 kids and become a housewife not a 24/7 admin on salary!

In article <8FFDE350Ckraftguyhotmailcom_at_209.25.157.130>,   no-one_at_all (no one) wrote:
> Stay away from the dark side. SA work should always be done W2
 hourly or
> 1099, especially when they put in those little words '24x7 support'.
 Why
> would anyone willingly be tied to a pager without being paid for the
> intrusion on their personal life? Companies requiring 24x7 support
 should
> hire shift operators to be on site so people can have real lives.
>
> dmiller_at_staff.music.com (David C. Miller) wrote in
> <t2g2amet68il63_at_corp.supernews.com>:
>
> >Music.com, Inc. (www.music.com) is looking for a full-time, mid- to
> >senior-level Unix System Administrator (Solaris) to manage 6+ SUN
> >servers in our NYC production environment. Two to four years
 experience
> >plus applicable working knowledge of Oracle, Veritas, Apache and
> >Netscape Enterprise Server required. Experience with ATG Dynamo,
 Cisco
> >switches/routers, Checkpoint firewall and Alteon/F5 a BIG plus.
> >
> >Music.com offers competitive salaries commensurate with past
 industry
> >experience and a full benefits package including comprehensive
 medical,
> >dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance and both
> >401(k) and employee stock option plans.
> >
> >Please e-mail your resume to dmiller_at_staff.music.com and include
 dates
> >of availability for an interview and salary expectations for a
 permanent
> >position.
> >

> >** FULL JOB DESCRIPTION **
> >In this role you will be responsible for keeping Music.com running
 24x7.
> >You will give input on network architecture, maintain user accounts,
> >perform security audits, install and upgrade Music.com specific
> >configurations and be responsible for all aspects of the Music.com
> >network. Specifically you will be responsible for setting up and
> >administering all servers, including web, application and database;
> >design, implementation and maintenance of network, including 24x7
> >support; working with current ISP/ASP; system configurations;
 identify
> >required upgrades, patches, host-level security configurations, and
> >account maintenance procedures; troubleshoot system problems with
> >vendors; monitoring and tuning system performance; and evaluating
 new
> >platforms and operating systems enhancements.
> >
> >Qualified candidates must also have experience in large network
 settings
> >specific to the Internet. Must be familiar with Veritas, TCP/IP,
 Perl,
> >HTML, Apache, Netscape Enterprise Server, Oracle 8.x, network
 security
> >conventions, SUN/Cisco hardware. Experience with ATG Dynamo or
> >Checkpoint installation a BIG plus. Must have 4+ years UNIX
 experience
> >with Solaris. Candidates should have 2 plus years experience in an
> >Internet environment. ISP experience would be most helpful. Strong
> >written and verbal communication skills a must.
> >
> >Music.com offers competitive salaries commensurate with past
 industry
> >experience and a full benefits package including comprehensive
 medical,
> >dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance and both
> >401(k) and employee stock option plans. Music.com, Inc. is an equal
> >opportunity employer offering H1-B Visa sponsorship to qualified
> >candidates.

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Dec 12 2000 - 18:45:47 CET