Re: Installing Designer 6i

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 00:20:12 GMT

[Quoted] Yeah I have this version of the Designer team sitting in a separate building from Oracle. There's a long-running feud and the two groups refuse to talk with one another. Every once in awhile somebody from one group slips something in to their product to make life tough for the other group.

<cktaylor_at_bellatlantic.net> wrote in message news:3a2e5868.65139555_at_news.bellatlantic.net...
> Bob,
>
> Check out the Designer installation guide. It discusses an order of
> installation for products. Here is what it sais:
>
> At the [database] server:
> Oracle8i Server, Release 8.1.6 (but see Order of installation before
> installing)
>
> Order of installation:
>
> Client and server on separate machines
> 1. Oracle 8.1.6 database
> 2. Oracle Designer client software
> 3. Oracle Repository
>
> Client and server on the same machine
> 1. Oracle Designer client software (into first Oracle home)
> 2. Oracle 8.1.6 database (into separate Oracle8i Oracle home)
> 3. Oracle Repository
>
> I just went through the same B.S. I can't believe oracle makes their
> installations so difficult. I can go on about Oracle but I will stop
> here!!!!! I had to uninstall oracle 8i, then install Designer, then
> reinstall Oracle 8i, then the repository. There may be other ways in
> which you can tweak the registry to get around the problem, but I was
> unable to find any information regarding that strategy.
>
> Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.
>
> Chris
>

> On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:46:29 -0600, "Bob Schmitz" <bschmitz_at_execpc.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Has any one had any installation problems of Designer 6i on W2K
> >Professional? My current configuration includes the Oracle 8i client
> >previously installed. The problem I am getting has been documented on
 OTN
> >documentation as follows:
> >
> >An Oracle8i database may already be installed on your machine when you
> >install Oracle Designer.
> >
> >In this case, when you install the Oracle Designer client software, you
 will
> >see a message indicating that the Installer
> >cannot install to multiple Oracle home directories. Let the installation
 run
> >to this point, then acknowledge the message
> >and exit from the Installer. Run the Windows registry editor (regedit)
 and