Re: clarification on export's read consistency, please

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:19:57 GMT

In article <90l3aa$poi$1_at_redftp.redftp.attws.com>,   "Verna Legaspi" <verna.legaspi_at_attws.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Up to what "granuality" and point in time will my export file be
 consistent
> with my database? Let's say I'm exporting a schema with about 100
 tables,
> and it takes, oh... about 1 hour. If in that hour, my users happen to
> access the DB and make updates, inserts, deletes, etc. on several
 tables -
> when can export guarantee "read consistency" on these tables?
>
> My understanding is that once export has "passed" a certain table,
 it's read
> consistency is guaranteed. Now, while export is "working" on this
 table,
> and users are also accessing this table, what will my export file
 contain?
> Will it contain the user's changes or not? Any in-betweens?
>
> Hope my question was clear. And thanks in advance for any replies...
>
> Verna

It will NOT contain ANY changes, as it will be read-consistent to the moment the export started. This is one of the reasons why it is usually not feasible to make a consistent export. This will require HUGE rollback segments. Better either operate the DB in restricted mode, or export outside office hours.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply