Installing Designer 6i

From: Bob Schmitz <bschmitz_at_execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:46:29 -0600

[Quoted] [Quoted] Has any one had any installation problems of Designer 6i on W2K [Quoted] Professional? My current configuration includes the Oracle 8i client previously installed. The problem I am getting has been documented on OTN [Quoted] documentation as follows:

An Oracle8i database may already be installed on your machine when you install Oracle Designer.

In this case, when you install the Oracle Designer client software, you will [Quoted] see a message indicating that the Installer cannot install to multiple Oracle home directories. Let the installation run [Quoted] to this point, then acknowledge the message and exit from the Installer. Run the Windows registry editor (regedit) and change the following registry entry:

[Quoted] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\ALL_HOMES\DEFAULT_HOME from the Oracle home name for the database (e.g. OraHome81) to the name of the Oracle home where you want to
[Quoted] install Oracle Designer 6i (e.g. Orant). Restart installation of the Designer client software; the installation should proceed correctly.

Now when I modify the registry value and restart the installation process I [Quoted] get a fatal error which states that the directory "Orant" already exists.

Any ideas short of uninstalling my previously installed Oracle Client software would be helpful. Received on Tue Dec 05 2000 - 18:46:29 CET

Original text of this message