Re: Installing Oracle client for Linux

From: Mark E. Hansen <meh_at_NOSPAMunify.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 08:23:16 -0800

Ted Gordon wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I want to install the Oracle client software on a Linux box. I read the
> Oracle documentation for Linux as saying that the machine must have 128MB of
> RAM to install any Oracle product. Can anyone tell me if this is true for
> installing only the client software?
> Thanks in advance,
> Ted G.

Well, this seems a bit extreme. In reality, most operating systems include a feature called "swap", in which a portion of the disk is used as "virtual memory".

With regard to performance and use of memory, Linux is the best I've seen. You can run most any software system on a Linux system with very little memory and it still performs quite well. The same performance on a Windows/NT system, for example, would likely require 4 times the amount of physical memory.

If you're using the machine as a client, I think you'll have a hard time telling the difference between a Limux machine with 32mb of RAM from one with 256mb. Received on Mon Dec 04 2000 - 17:23:16 CET

Original text of this message