Re: Oracle on OpenVMS or Unix

From: Liz Reen <lizr_at_geologist.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:23:17 -0500

In article <6sbV5.5305$wE6.353279_at_wagner.videotron.net>, syltrem_at_videotron.ca says...
> David,
>
> you are right in saying that "NT was originally written by one of the team
> that developed and coded VMS" and to-day I still don`t understand why the NT
> OS is so messy. 3rd party vendors on the VMS OS NEVER overwrite system stuff
> (DLL`s in NT) making the system or other applications crash after you
> install something. Why do they do it on NT? It would be a lot more stable if
> that practice would be stopped. Let the vendors use the system libraries,
> not modify them.

If memory serves correctly, Mr. Cutler left DEC shortly after version 2.0 of VMS. I think he missed quite a few improvements in VMS.

Liz, who misses her VMS box greatly Received on Fri Dec 01 2000 - 15:23:17 CET

Original text of this message