Re: Forms through a 64K leased line

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:58:44 +0800

Patrick De Giorgi wrote:

> Hello !
>
> We are testing Forms 6 through a 64K leased line between Switzerland and
> Belgium.
> The version of Oracle Server is 7.3.4.
>
> The results are ... awful !
> When we press enter to send the request, we measured that it sends about
> 1,5Ko in average, then we wait about 30 s and then we received the answer
> (also about 1,5Ko).
>
> If we do the same tests on our Lan, the results are normal. Almost no wait
> between the request and the answer.
>
> We are using TCP/IP through 2 routers (1 Cisco 4000 and 1 Magellan).
>
> Is there a way to use Forms 6 like this but with a normal answer time ?
>
> If no, which leased line speed should we have ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick

For client/server then two things are very important...

  1. don't bring your fmx's down the leased line - have them local to the client (which also induces deployment headaches)
  2. you really need to code with WAN in mind (simple things like a select in a POST-query can kill you)...

Alternatively look at running web-based forms which could possibly be more efficient - we're doing that over dial-up with reasonable results..

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"