Help needed copying export from tape

From: <richard_pope_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:13:51 GMT

Hi,

We currectly have a problem loading a database export that was taken on a different site. The problem is as follows:

Database export taken from an Oracle 8.0.4 instance running on an HPUX 11.0 server, DDS drive used as output device.

We need to import the data into an Oracle 8.0.4 instance running on a Solaris 2.6 server.

The issue is that the Sun server is an E10000 and has no DDS drive attached. There is a DDS drive attached to its service processor.

Normally, the tape is created by specifying a file for output, and then tar'ing that onto a tape. We then bring that back onto the system by running a rsh'ed dd from the E10000 to the service processor, and piping the output through to tar. We did try this, but instead of piping to tar, redirecting the output to a file - The theory being that we could just import the file. We need to specify the block size that was used to create the tape for this to work though, and we do not have this information.

Could anyone let me know what the default block size is for exports to tape, and if anyone has any other suggestions for ways to import this I would be grateful. Getting the export tape recreated in the correct way is not possible, unfortunately.

Thanks and Regards,
Richard Pope

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 22 2000 - 15:13:51 CET

Original text of this message