Re: SO BALLMER THINKS LARRY IS ALL WRONG, EH?!?

From: Pro News/2 User <kiyoinc_at_attglobal.XOUT.net>
Date: 16 Nov 2000 23:26:33 GMT

On Sun, 15 Nov 3900 23:28:46, J Perry Fecteau <perryfecteau_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> so steve ballmer says that larry ellison's vision won't work.
> hmmmm...

Thanks JP, nice rant.

> ORACLE'S STRATEGY IS **ALREADY** WORKING!!!
>
> HERE'S YOUR SECOND CLUE:
>
> YOU NEED TO GET GATES OFF OF YOUR BACK AND START WORRYING ABOUT YOUR OWN
> COMPANY INSTEAD OF ELLISON'S!!!!

The real disadvantage of Microsoft's application suite is that it's Windoze Only. I'm ignoring the Mac.

Oracle was multi-platform from the get-go. Oracle runs on IBM mainframes and MVS (OS/390, z/OS), IBM midrange machines (the AS/400), IBM Scientific machines (the RS/6000 and AIX), Compaq DEC Alphas running VMS, Sun Solaris, Linux, even the Palm Pilot.

Why would anyone lock themselves into SQL Server and WNT?

Oracle can sell into an IBM mainframe shop, "works with your existing hardware and OS." If the shop mentions that they're considering going Sun E10000 with Solaris, "Yep, we run there too, an easy port."

WinNT is holding the Microsoft applications back.

Even a pure WNT shop has good reason to avoid SQL Server. "What if business is good and we want to grow to a bigger system. What if we get a buy-out inquiry from a large company. The cost of conversion comes out of our pocket."

With Oracle, they're good to go.

IBM knows that, that's why DB2 (IBM's Oracle) is also multi-platform. IBM has
started calling DB2, the Universal Database.

Only SQL Server has the tight binding to the OS and hardware.

<shameless ad>

By the way, I'm working on a data interchange solution for Oracle, DB2, etc. I've got the new beta's ready to go, they'll be up in a few days. http://www.kiyoinc.com/nxtract.html

While we are pre-IPO, we're not looking for investors or VC.

We're looking for Beta testers. We have several firms signed up including IBM and a major university.

</shameless ad>

--
cory hamasaki