Re: Calling Packaged Procedure from a form (4.5): new session?

From: Eric Givler <egivler_at_flash.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:52:29 GMT

> We are currently thinking of a way to work with dynamic roles in an Oracle
> 7.3/Forms 4.5 application. The idea is to dynamically grant someone the
> rights they need when working in the Forms application, and only
> SELECT-rights when they work in SQL*Plus, Databrowser or Discoverer.

That's what we do here.

> We try to achieve this by granting a role with SELECT rights on all
 objects
> to all users, and granting (an) additional role(s) when they log in the
> application.

Those roles are also password protected and non-default roles, right?

> But dynamic roles are limited to an Oracle session, so when the
 application
> calls an SQL-program (host-command), we will have to grant the user again,
> because the call starts a new session, and most of the times SELECT-rights
> are not sufficient there.

We ran into that with some of our reports which started new sessions and did internal DML that we needed to have some more roles enabled.

> We can work that out, but what happens when we call a packaged
> procedure/function from a form. Does that start a new session too? Anybody
> know?

The package function/proc runs under the schema owner so that shouldn't be an issue, right? Received on Wed Nov 15 2000 - 18:52:29 CET

Original text of this message