Calling Packaged Procedure from a form (4.5): new session?

From: Henk Hultink <hhu_at_nospam.stoas.nl>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:51:52 +0100

Hi,

[Quoted] We are currently thinking of a way to work with dynamic roles in an Oracle 7.3/Forms 4.5 application. The idea is to dynamically grant someone the rights they need when working in the Forms application, and only SELECT-rights when they work in SQL*Plus, Databrowser or Discoverer. [Quoted] We try to achieve this by granting a role with SELECT rights on all objects [Quoted] to all users, and granting (an) additional role(s) when they log in the application.
[Quoted] But dynamic roles are limited to an Oracle session, so when the application [Quoted] calls an SQL-program (host-command), we will have to grant the user again, because the call starts a new session, and most of the times SELECT-rights are not sufficient there.
[Quoted] We can work that out, but what happens when we call a packaged procedure/function from a form. Does that start a new session too? Anybody know?

tia

--
Henk Hultink

Stoas Wageningen