Re: Form 6: How to use menu item tole in application?

From: Peter Yu <yuyh_at_sp.edu.sg>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:53:10 +0800

Thanks for Eric's info.

[Quoted] I have checked that the "frm60sec.sql" script provided with the Form6.0 for [Quoted] building the FRM60_ENABLED_ROLES view does base on sys.user_role_privs not the session_roles.

Is it possible and safe to adapt the script to base the view on session_roles ? If it is okay the problem would be solved.

[Quoted] On the alternative of rebuilding the menu at run-time, I did not know it is [Quoted] possible. Thanks for the info, Eric. Please give me some more pointers on how it can be done. What programming effort is involved ?

[Quoted] Anyway, in this case i would rather read the info from an applicaton table than from the system's roles tables.

[Quoted] On the view FRM60_ENABLED_ROLES, why does Oracle keep ungrading the name of [Quoted] the view? I last know it as FRM45_ENABLED_ROLES. Perhap there was a FRM50--- and more to come ?

"Eric Givler" <egivler_at_flash.net> wrote in message news:mxDP5.114$ND5.16158_at_news.flash.net...
> I thought that regardless of whether the role was enabled or not, the menu
> choices would still appear? Forms uses a view that makes use of roles to
> determine whether the menu items are visible or not and I didn't think it
> took into account whether the role was actually enabled. (I think it
 looked
> at user_role_privs vs session_roles).
>
> Anyway, even with that in mind, you can still programmatically navigate
> through all menu choices and enable/disable the menu items based on
> currently active roles. And then issue a replace_menu call after the new
> menu has been "rebuilt".
>
> "John Alexander" <jalexander_at_summitsoftwaredesign.com> wrote in message
> > Oracle roles can be set to default, so that they are enabled immediately
> > when the user logs in. Roles can also be set so that they do not
 default.
> > Instead they have to be specifically enabled for that session after the
 user
> > logs in. So the scenario would be:
> > 1) Your user logs in to Oracle, with no special roles enabled.
> > 2) Then he logs in to your application, you look at your application
 tables
> > and decide which roles that user should get, and enable those roles (you
 can
> > enable roles using the dbms_session package)
> >
> > I haven't tried it, but am guessing that, as long as you enable the
 roles
> > before opening the form that contains your menu, Forms will recognize
 those
> > session roles and that the available menu items would display
 accordingly.

> > Peter Yu <yuyh_at_sp.edu.sg> wrote in message
> > > The menu in Form 6 has the feature of tailoring the menu according to
 the
> > > user. This is done be setting the role for each menu item and turning
 the
> > > menu module's "use security" property on. The menu was available to
 the
> > > end-user would depend on the database privilege of the end user.
> > >
> > > This is possible if each end users uses a different database account.
 If