Re: Oracle to MS Access communication

From: Brian Tkatch <SPAMBLOCK.Maxwell_Smart_at_ThePentagon.com.SPAMBLOCK>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:01:52 GMT

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:01:11 +1030, "Tony Cardone" <tony_at_nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>Here's the problem :-
>
>We have an Oracle 7.3.4 database which resides on a Digital Alpha Unix
>server and an Access database which lives on an NT box. Is there some way we
>can get the 2 databases to communicate to each other and what products would
>this involve ?
>
>Any idea of the costs involved ?
>
>Cheers
>
>Tony Cardone

ODBC will allow Access to talk to Oracle using Oracle's ODBC driver with a valid TNS name on that machine. I use all the time. You go into Access and "Link" the table. When it asks for location choose the bottom of the combo box, ODBC, and then choose your connection. It will take a moment to generate a list of all the tables after you log in, and you probably want to make sure to check "save password".

Brian Received on Mon Nov 13 2000 - 14:01:52 CET

Original text of this message