Re: Oracle Client Conflicts

From: cgoehring <cgoehring_at_rcisd.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:57:26 -0800

Cliff

Sorry for late reply. The boss is actually doing this and I don't know the status. I do web side stuff, so am not working on the Dev/2000 application. We have some equipment for testing but wanted to see what others were doing before we go re-inventing the wheel. I'll let you know what we end up doing.

Thanks

Cliff Dabrowski wrote:

> Charles,
>
> FYI: Multi-Home was introduced starting with Oracle 8.0.4
>
> Have you tried actually installing both clients into the DEFAULT_HOME. I
> have successfully installed and ran Oracle 7.3.3 client with Forms 6 in the
> default home with no problems whatsoever. You may install multiple clients
> into the same home with the obvious expectation that any newer installation
> may update/replace parts of a previous installation.
>
> One point to ponder. If you install Oracle 7.3.3 and the Oracle 8 client
> (but DO NOT install any 7.x RSF from the Oracle 8 distribution) then
> everything should co-exist just fine. I would expect that your old
> application has a direct dependency of ORA73.DLL as opposed to OCIW32.DLL
> which under this scenario would leave Oracle no choice but to use the 7.3.3
> client regardless of which is the current home in a multi-home environment.
>
> Look here for more info:
> http://technet.oracle.com/doc/windows/server.804/a55924/ch6.htm?found
>
> I would be interested to hear how things turn out for you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Cliff Dabrowski
>
> "Charles Goehring" <cgoehrin_at_san.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Eric,
> >
> > Additional info:
> > The Dev/2000 application uses the V2 triggers from 10 years ago. This
 feature
> > is supposedly no longer supported. If this app had been modernized, we
 could
> > remove the 7.3.3 client altogether and run it on the Forms 6.0 runtime in
 the
> > same home with the 8.1.5 version of OO4O and the 8.1.5 client.
> >
> > I guess the question is: If you can get the dual homes business working,
 does
> > it work reliably when the users runs applications from both homes at the
 same
> > time. The Language Group support people said "Home switching" is done by
> > separate application they provide, and that it wouldn't be safe to use
 both
> > homes simultaneously.
> >
> > Chuck
> >

> > Eric Givler wrote:
> >
> > > What version of the Oracle Client are you referring to?
> > >
> > > I have forms 4.5 and 6i running on my machine without a hitch. The
 second
> > > one is in it's own home. Oracle makes use of an ORACLE.KEY file in the
> > > application executable path to find the registry key to use when it's
 multi
> > > home compliant.
> > >
> > > cgoehring <cgoehring_at_rcisd.com> wrote in message

 Objects