Re: Form 6: How to use menu item tole in application?

From: Zbigniew Sliwa <zibi_at_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:01:54 +0100

Hi,

I am using such approach in application it works OK. Users have roles which are
enabled by the procedure from the plsql library (pll). The password which enables roles is hardcoded in pll. With this approach we enable users to use some set of tables from the forms application but users can't access tables from the SQL Worksheet.

--
Regards,

Zbigniew Sliwa
Oracle Programmer
Poland
email: zibi_at_at_yahoo.com

Peter Yu wrote:

> Brillant idea. Even though it is not tested, it opens a new dimension of
> possibilities for me Why didn't I think of it! Wonder if Oracle's
> application like Oracle Financial uses this approach ?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> "John Alexander" <jalexander_at_summitsoftwaredesign.com> wrote in message
> > Oracle roles can be set to default, so that they are enabled immediately
> > when the user logs in. Roles can also be set so that they do not default.
> > Instead they have to be specifically enabled for that session after the
user
> > logs in. So the scenario would be:
> > 1) Your user logs in to Oracle, with no special roles enabled.
> > 2) Then he logs in to your application, you look at your application
tables
> > and decide which roles that user should get, and enable those roles (you
can
> > enable roles using the dbms_session package)
> >
> > I haven't tried it, but am guessing that, as long as you enable the roles
> > before opening the form that contains your menu, Forms will recognize
those
> > session roles and that the available menu items would display accordingly.
> >
> > Peter Yu <yuyh_at_sp.edu.sg> wrote in message
> > > The menu in Form 6 has the feature of tailoring the menu according to
the
> > > user. This is done be setting the role for each menu item and turning
the
> > > menu module's "use security" property on. The menu was available to the
> > > end-user would depend on the database privilege of the end user.
> > >
> > > This is possible if each end users uses a different database account.
If